Monday, October 24, 2011

Day 9 - Mexico Hates Me

Day 9
23 Oct 2011
Mexico Hates Me

Initial Impressions: Today is fantastic. I almost don't want to do anything at all again.

Well today was freaking epic.  I of course, procrastinate my work. Completely. I read the chapters, occasionally do the homework early but usually I wait until the last day or two when something is due to really get on it.  This time procrastination bested me.  I of course, waiting to start an exam that was due today at midnight. I had been rereading the chapters though for the last few days.  I open up the online class for the exam when suddenly *BAM* my internet goes out.... Okay. WTF? So I figure... well I can walk to Walmart and add time to my wireless hotspot device. Did that, nothing... it's still not working. I call the Walmart guy... he said he'll look into and call me back... nothing... nothing... nothing... At this point I'm just frustrated. I go down to stalk the kitchen (the one common area we housemates share) so I can ask someone what the name of the internet it for us... No one shows up.  When I finally match all 17 available wireless points with the password, turns out it's either 'down' or missing. GREAT.......... Now my computer wireless thing isn't work, nor is the internet at home. So I pack up my bag and head out.  I am pretty sure I've seen a Starbucks close to my place.  Heading out I stop into a gas station to ask the guy behind the counter, "Por favor, donde estan un Starbucks?" He points right, and says "derecha".  I thank him and head out. Walking right. I walk for about 4 blocks and no Starbucks. At this point I wave down a taxi and head to the closest Starbucks, which not only WAS NOT right, it wasn't even straight (since half the time taxi drivers say "derecha?" and drive straight anyway).  I get to the Starbucks where I order a lemon cake and a hot chocolate.  I do it all in Spanish and do pretty well until they ask me something about my money *sigh* at this point I have to tell them that I don't speak much Spanish - and YAY! the guy behind the counter speaks perfect English.  We talk briefly, and he asks where I'm from.  While I'm waiting to get my hot chocolate a little boy nudges me and starts talking to me in Spanish.  His mother translates, saying that he loves to hear English and is trying to learn.  So I kneel down to his eye level (totally adorable little boy :D ) and say, "Hi, my name is Rachael.  I am from the United States." And then repeat it in Spanish. He smiles, and tells me his name and asks me how old I am and why I am here. So I tell him that I'm 24 and I'm studying Spanish. His mom thanks me and we say good bye, he tells me "Good bye Rachael!" in English. It was freaking adorable.  Well I head upstairs to find a comfy spot, plug in my computer and FINALLY get online when....the freaking power goes out in the whole area. *cry* At this point I'm basically screwed. I have no choice to email my instructor and hope she is understanding, despite the fact the exam has been open for several weeks already.  BUT since I do not have internet I have to call my mom (Thank you mom!!! XOXOX) to get into my account and email her for me.

Well this was pretty much my day - filled with stress and my first kick in the ass from the internet gods.

Walking home

Everything has color






To keep me warm at night now :D




3 comments:

  1. WOW! What a day!!The internet gods hate you but some of the gods must still think you are OK as you were allowed to retake your exam ;D. Everyone is enjoying your blog, I even added a tab to grandma and grandpa's computer. Justin told me of a customer who he and his wife read your blog before bed and are completely enjoying it.
    Talk soon.
    Love you, have fun,& be safe,
    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there...you'll defeat the internet hassles and the power outages...either that or start a new career as a barrista, right?

    Yay for your mom!

    and isn't what procrastination what higher education is all about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Cathi - Apparently I did something right with someone lol!! I was very worried about things but it all worked out. And thanks to my awesome South American housemate he has set my internet up for me (yay!!). Thank you for setting it up so grandma and grandpa can read it (the blog)! I am happy that I am able to keep in touch and share with everyone. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that customers are reading this, and that everyone seems to enjoy it. I kinda love the feedback I get from everyone. It makes me feel like I'm not rambling to the internet (which is scary, cause I'm convinced the government is still taped into my phone line *I'm on to you government!!!~Shaking my fist at the ceiling~*) [oh look, now I have a conspiracy theory....]

    @ Biking Rabbit - I could be a great barrista... except I'm not very friendly. So maybe not. (in regards to higher education) That's what I thought it was all about but lately it's been getting harder to pull off, so maybe I should just finish so I can start grad school and another 2 years of procrastination FRESH!

    And yes, Yay! for my mom! I <3 you and your awesomeness. :)

    ReplyDelete