Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Day 12 - Dictionary Hunting

Day 12
26 Oct 2011
Dictionary Hunting

Initial Impressions: I'm certain there was something I thought of earlier but it's gone now....

Well today was dictionary hunting day.  I went with Mireille after class to go find a dictionary (adventure/tourist photo op!).  We checked Superama as we were told that any store would have them (they didn't).  After there we walked up Insurgentes to Sanborns.  This store has the coolest candy section, EVER. It's sooooo much chocolate *nom nom nom* I bought my first official candy/local snacks. Let's see how they taste :D.  Well at Sanborns, they did have a dictionary, which I bought.  After getting that we headed across the street check out a park, which has a huge monument.  I've got a bunch of photos of the park and the monument which I think was pretty cool over all.  I am getting very excited for the Day of the Dead, there are many stores now selling the candy skulls and the bread.  The school also set up a Day of the Dead alter, which I've got photos of too :D

I'm still super sore from walking? dance? whatever it maybe my legs are still aching, today I had to walk like crazy with Mireille and then again for lunch and back home.  I've also got to remember to go grocery shopping again... I'm getting low on bread and cheese (ahaha my food pyramid is really awkwardly shaped, I'll add a photo).

See, told you it was weird shaped. Well back to my day.  I had to get a dictionary because my 'friend' *glare* is refusing to talk to me in English most of the time so that I now have to actually practice my Spanish. It took me a bit to get over my -grr, annoyed- feeling that I had been sulking about in for the last two days.  After he acknowledged that he was doing it to help me be fluent I conceded he had a point, and I would be thanking him for it... just not currently.  I'm quite excited for this next week I have bunches of things going on.  I am going to go to the movies, probably to a club - yay! dress up!!, and will be going to Teotihuacan on Monday (yay!) I also will be buying and trying to find out if there is anything awesome I can experience or photograph for the Day of the Dead.   Anyway, that was the extent of my day. Not to much happened, class, shopping, and trip/adventure planning.  Anyway, since I slacked off on the photo's I'll spend less time blathering at you and more time giving you pretty things to look at. :)







Why you taking my picture!?!?!


Bread of the Dead 

These are awesome because Mireille couldn't describe them accurately so she says, "What are those things you get in Church?" Me - "Yeah, you mean the 'body of christ' wafers?" Yeah, these are them but colored. LOL

















These are Lagartijas - or as I call them, 'humping lizards' They do push ups that look like they are humping!



















4 comments:

  1. First, is the bread of the dead any good?

    Second, that is a great park/monument..can we get a full translation of all the engravings?

    Third, chiles are not listed anywhere on your pyramid. Just sayin....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't eaten any of the bread of the dead... And umm sure, I think babelfish.yahoo.com is pretty good for those translations, yeah? No there were no chiles, BUT that doesn't mean I don't think about them. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the photos, so colorful. Even the wafers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexico seems to be very colorful in general :)

    ReplyDelete