Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 6 - Bus, Metro, Dance Shoes and Deep Conditioning

20th, October 2011
Day 6
Bus, Metro, Dance Shoes, and Deep Conditioning

Initial Impressions: Packing strawberries and blackberries was a terrible idea. I hope this doesn't give me dandruff.

Well today was second day of class, I've officially decided I need to request to test into a higher class. I'm about 20 pages ahead of the class and spend the whole time drawing. I didn't spend my money to be doing the same things I do in the states in class. I met up with a few classmates for our first "field trip" to buy dance shoes. Some how I ended up being the only one buying the damn shoes (as they didn't have the sizes for the others).  We caught the Metrobus to the Metro (subway) and took that to Guerrero.  There we met our dance instructor and caught another bus to this amazing, magical, omg I think I just spent all my money on shoes place.  It literally was a massive market of just SHOES.  I ended up buying these ugly black things with nails in the bottom. The teacher asked me what I thought, my answer, "Son muy feos" (frown).  She laughed.  She also recommended that I request to test into a higher Spanish as I shouldn't be in Basic 1. I was pretty impressed I did well conversing with her the whole trip in Spanish (yay!).  The Metro is massive, super fast, and FILLED with people. Crazy.  The buses are much the same, although they are not nearly as fast.  The people on the bus are awesome, myself and my two classmates wanted to catch the Guerrero Metro stop, and kept trying to get off on the wrong bus stops. Every single person on the bus kept telling us no! and finally when we go the right one we didn't even move until they told us to go. (Haha).  My two classmates were both from Russia (How cooool) and the guy actually attended UNM on a ski scholarship (the only time UNM won Nationals apparently).  He is going to travel through Central and South American until he maxes out his credit cards apparently.  The other is a girl who is also from Russia on a vacation from work.  Both are more traveled (internationally) than I am, but they are awesome people.  We've talked about the places we want to go and might plan something to go out together at some point.

After the shopping trip we got back to the Universidad Metro stop and split up.  That's about when I remembered I had strawberries and blackberries in my backpack... which had been smooshed and leaked ALL over it.  So I had to rinse it off and hang it out to air dry. Haha.  My plans tonight are that I have to meet up with the guy at 7 to get my book back.  He left his in some bar in Zona Rosa so I lent him mine for tonight. I also decided to do my first load of laundry and cook dinner BUT first I wanted to shower... which led to me running out of water (completely, not just hot) in the middle. So here I am blogging in the middle of day while my hair is being "deep conditioned" until I can rinse it off.  I better not get dandruff. *grrr*  Well, if anything more interesting happens I'll update this and I'll ad the photos of my dance shoes tonight.  Though I don't have photos of anything else yet.

Tonight I made my first meal in my apartment... and it was a fantastic spaghetti (lol).  I also spent the evening talking with my South American housemate.  He is super interesting, getting sent to learn Spanish by his country due to his job (jealous!).  He also wants to work for the U.N. (see everyone wants that awesome job).  He was here for 5 months and leaves the first week of December.  It was really nice to talk to someone, especially about all kinds of stuff. So far I've gotten to talk to the Brazilian and South American guys.  I spent the afternoon talking to the Russian classmates, and I spent the morning talking to the Korean and Finish girls in my class.... I really can't help but keep expressing the diversity of the people here. I've never had the opportunity to meet so many people of such different backgrounds.  I'm pretty sure I'm in heaven with this... How can you not appreciate EVERYTHING when you get to see it from so many different perspectives? I get to have first hand experience of this entire adventure from my point of view - and from the shared views of every single individual from so many different paths of life.  It's fantastic.  Politics and literature with the Brazilian, United Nations, food and schooling with the South American, travel and impressions of the CEPE with the Russians.... Impressions and the abundant positives to be found in Mexico City with the Finish girl (who is trying to convince me to move here because she keeps telling me how awesome it. =P ) and Korean girl.  This decision to travel to Mexico to study school has been one of the best (so far).  It makes me sad for the hundreds of thousands, even millions of people who never have a chance to see the world in the massive mesh of people.  How can one truly see what they have, what life is, and understand anything without the opportunity to have seen it from or with someone else's thoughts, impressions, and backgrounds?

Anyway, that's all I've got to go on about... other than the fact I'm looking forward to the Day of The Dead and I'm excited I'm making friends with people who will want to celebrate with me!

Night! <3







No comments:

Post a Comment