Monday, October 31, 2011

Day 17 - Tehuacan, not Teotihuacan...

Day 17
31 October 2011
Tehuacan, not Teotihuacan

Initial Impressions: I've learned my procrastination lesson. And also that I really need to work on my listening skills.

So today, after barely getting any sleep as I did my homework last night I get my bum to class to find out we are going to Tehuacan (the Pueblo) not Teotihuacan, which is why the drive is about 4 hours and I'm staying overnight. SO there will be no pyramid photos BUT I will get to experience the 'real' traditional Dia Del Muerto.  We are (myself and Mireille and her family) are going to head out to some place that starts with a "C" and will update that name tomorrow and watch them kill wild goats and then check out a parade and maybe eat goat head meat... unless I've turned vegetarian after watching an animal be killed. I'm certain at this point that this will be one of the most traumatic events of my life, next to maybe birthing children and I wasn't sure I was going to deal with that without copious amounts of drugs.

I did get a bunch of photos of the Day of the Dead stuff on campus, though I wont be home until midafternoon Wednesday so my 'touristy' photo uploads of the Day of the Dead might be limited. I might, if I'm not totally damaged mentally and emotionally force you people to watch photos of the experience with the goats tomorrow but we'll see.  All the photos I took today will not end up online until I return as I forgot to bring the cord that connects my camera to my computer (hehe).

The bus ride was quite long, though I watched part of Narnia and part of Confessions of a Shopaholic in Spanish while not napping.  After arriving Mireille's parents picked us up at the bus station and asked up if we wanted to stay till Wednesday morning (which was fine with me).  Then we checked into the hotel, which is awesome here, very pretty and comfortable and headed to dinner followed by a walk around town.  I had some local wine, a red one, and it was very good. First Cabernet that I've ever liked as I normally go for cheap Chardonnay. We talked chile, as Mireille's stepdad ordered me their hottest salsa, which wasn't that hot. So they laughed and said tomorrow we will find chile that burns on the way in and on the way out.... *nervous* maybe I should stop complaining that the chile/salsa here isn't all that hot.

Well that was the extent of my day so far.  I'll upload photos once I've gotten back home and will blog tomorrow after the goat murdering experience.  So, as a final heads up to family I will have both my cell phones ON for phone calls and will try to check in from the hotel for internet in the evenings but since I'll be here an extra day it is possible that my phone will run low... regardless I'm doing great and I miss and love you guys... even if I'll be a goat killer.... *cry*

<3














3 comments:

  1. Hey it wont be that bad..
    Remember when we went to Uncle Lucevio's (sp?) Farm and watching the goat get castrated???? (Jeez my spelling is severely off as of right now) Anyways.. have fun! :) Stay safe and i am LOVING the pictures!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I didn't go with you all to Uncle Lucevio's farm.... I am not sure where I was but I've never managed to make it up there during castration, farming, or various other things. I've only been once. :(

    ReplyDelete