Monday, October 17, 2011

Day 3 - House Hunting


17 Oct 2011
Day 3
House Hunting

Initial Impressions - OMG THE CHICKEN NUGGETS AT MCDONALD'S ARE THE OLD KIND!!!!!!!There is a lot more smog on work days then weekend... But it is not as bad as I expected, equivalent to NYC I'd say and only visible until after noon.  I think its hilarious that I continuously notice and comment that things (such as my housing list) are in Spanish.  I'm in Mexico, what language did I think they would be in? I amuse myself.

Today I discovered I disliked my first meal.... it was an 'omlet' that was then dipped in some kind of spicy tomato and onion sauce served with corn tortillas on the side. I REALLY don't like it or the crunchy parts (gag).  And whatever fruit we had for breakfast... ewwww. I also had my first phone conversation in Spanish and waved down my very first taxi (ever).  I also didn't get to register until tomorrow but I did find out where my building is, wander some of the UNAM campus and get my housing list.    I am mapping my housing list, which is about 9 pages long front and back so I can figure which ones I want to see and then call to schedule the showings.  I must also remember to eat lunch before I start this adventure. *Must remember to feed myself, as I always forget to eat*

Well, off to start second part of my adventure I'll post up the pics now (and I finally got more of the hostel - Rudi <3 ) and update this same post this afternoon after I *hopefully* find my new place to stay.

<3

House hunt is final. I think... I just picked the first place I went to. I will pay her on Wednesday, although I am hesitant about the place because I'm not sure how safe the neighborhood it at this point. I will have my own room with a private entrance with a private bathroom. The room is HUGE and its very well lit.  I will have to share a kitchen, laundry area, and I get internet access while I'm there.  My 'house mates' are two guys from South America and someone from Japan. I have to register tomorrow at 8 am and after I am done I might go check out a few other places and see if any seem to fit my budget and seem less... scary neighborhood-ish.  I also managed to get my taxi driver lost today :)  I called my potential land lady who gave directions to my driver (lol).

On the plus side, I'm getting better at ordering food and give directions in Spanish.  Nothing like being lost next to some Museo de Queso to have to explain to the taxi driver where to go.  Or starving and trying to figure out how to order a cheeseburger with nothing on it but cheese. Haha.

Also I am curious, do they make stop signs in Mexico? I don't think I've seen one stop sign in the last three days.  And people totally ignore the lanes for cross traffic. Its fantastic!!!

Hostel Bathroom - 3 showers 
Hostel Bathroom - 2 toilets, 2 sinks, and my makeup bag :D

Hostel -Back Exit

Hostel Hallway to bathroom

  Hostel -6 Dorm Room plus computer area 1

Hostel -Open Living room/Computer Area 1

Hostel- Backyard/patio

Hostel- More Backyard


Hostel -Stairs leading to upper patio

UNAM

UNAM

UNAM

UNAM 
UNAM

UNAM

UNAM

UNAM

Random, but cool. First sign of Dia de Los Muertos on this street.

Church

Church

No comments:

Post a Comment