Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 11 - Over Achiever?

Day 11
25 Oct 2011
Over Achiever?

Initial Impressions - I wonder if I can check out the entire book for Basico 2... Sorry I posted later in the day, I know some of you were looking for this earlier (Stephen!).


Well I finished my entire next chapter in my Spanish text book and finished my exam for Women's Health (God I hate classes where I have to watch babies being born *shudder*).  At the rate I'm going if I do a chapter a night I'll have finished my book by Monday (allowing for three days of straight World of Warcraft mind numbing trolling).  I really do need to remember to start my research papers and all 5 of the exams for my Human Sexuality class (another one with babies being born *ewwww*).  I headed to Spanish today early enough that I walked. Class was good as usual, the instructor is pretty awesome.  She is just a very great personality.  Makes class enjoyable. She also told me that she will look and bring me the Basico 2 book so that I can borrow hers and not have to check one out.  I have decided, mostly cause I had to walk home for lunch today that I am going to skip Traditional Dance. *gasp* I'm playing hookey on the second week of class. Honestly I am kind of thinking I might just drop the class but *shrug* I don't know yet.  I have also decided that I am going to sit at home and work on my damn research papers that I have put off all semester.  After doing that, and the rest of my online homework *catch up anyone?* I don't have any plans. I was going to go to a movie but my friend I wanted to go with got a surprise family visit so we rescheduled for this weekend.

I've got a few complaints today after being here about a week. First, I can't find any damn green chile. I've been told I don't know what I'm looking for and it is there but I Can't Find It. It's been a whole week with out green chile in my system and I'm certain I might starve to death despite what I eat with out it. In fact I am not certain I know how to cook food WITHOUT green chile. I've tried explaining it to my housemates and they keep telling me green peppers *sigh* I have to find some of this so I can make it for them!!  The next complaint I have is with the hot water at this house.  I swear I run out of water in about 4 minutes or less. Then its just cold.  I have to finish just about every shower with cold water. I don't know what the heck is up with that. I am getting great at taking the worlds fastest showers but... well I miss being spoiled by getting 15 minutes of hot water so I can just enjoy it.

Here I've added this comic as to my feelings on showers and how I'm being 'deprived'. Haha.

Found at:
http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/why-we-take-long-showers.jpg


I didn't get any photos today, and for that I'm sorry. I forgot my camera at home this morning and I haven't left the house since I got back this afternoon.

I will make it up to you all by taking bunches of them the rest of the week.  I am every excited, next week is my first official school 'holiday'.  It's the day of the dead!! (Yay!) I definitely want to get out and check it out. I need to start buying little trinkets and knick knacks.  I also need to start planning any adventuring I'm going to go do (Teotihuacan, etc) because yes I may have 6 more weeks here but that is nothing when those 6 weeks involve class 5 days a week!  I really like the people I've met so far, I think it's awesome how the girl from Finland (Mireille) keeps trying to convince me to move here. Today she informed me of how there is this great house just near where her parents live that is for sale... for a great price... and we could be roomies. Lol. I think the idea is interesting, but I have to finish my degree. I've never had someone keep trying to convince me to move more than she it, it's hilarious as we've only met last week.  I'm loving the school and the overall environment, as well as the people. As large as UNAM is, regardless of where I'm at on the campus (well the Northern half as I haven't made it down to the other side yet) if I see someone from CEPE I pretty much always get a wave and an hola. It's fantastic!

Tomorrow I have another full day with Spanish, Salsa, then traditional dance....*ewww* my legs are still sore, so I suppose I can actually USE the dance classes as it is more exercise than I both want, and normally get back home.  On the plus side, when I do move back home I will be in good enough shape that I can walk to class every day with out whining (too much) about it.  Today we talked about food and culture, children and being picky eaters (amongst the 4 of us women in my class). It was pretty interesting to hear the thoughts from everyone.  Wakesha, from Kenya, thinks all the meat here in Mexico is disgusting as it tastes like pork (we teased her to stop ordering pork) so she just eats fruit and fish. She said the chicken in Kenya is amazing, because it is Real Free Range, unlike the 'free range' we get fed in the U.S.  She also said she just dislikes all the cheese here (which is crazy, how can you not like CHEESE?!).  Shim, from Korea, is just as picky as I am with her vegetables, but loves the meat and pretty much eats that and fruit here. She says the prices for fresh food and even the meet and cheese are way cheaper than in Korea and she loves it.  Everything is good, except that weird vegetable that Mireille was eating.  Mireille pretty much just eats rabbit food, I'm certain of it. Every day on our break she is constantly eating healthy (lettuce, tomatoes, funny root vegetables that aren't potatoes and aren't fried...), and loves how the food is so easily accessible compared to Finland. She is always going on about the amazing fresh hot tortillas she gets in the morning (yum).  They all laughed at how I tried whatever weird vegetable that Mireille was eating, disliked it and complained "it tastes like a vegetable".  We also talked about how apparently many Mexican people are shorter and a bit more solidly build. Not fat, just, (I can't think of how to describe it....) solid (?) in the middle.. and not all of them, majority of people are thin or average, I guess average is the shape I was looking for...*shrug*.  (Not that the U.S. has anything to say, because as a whole we ARE fat. Way fat. Especially compared when walking down the streets or in the stores... its a massive difference in the weight and size of the people here)... anyway, the point was that we are talking about the food differences in each of our countries and how things cost and are available.  They mentioned that the constant cheese and availability of meats and breads could be part of the reason. I am not sure though, I think it obviously would be a variety of factors. They told me if I am not careful with all my 'cheese' eating love that I will also be 'round' in the middle. (We learned descriptive adjectives of peoples appearance today, can you tell?).

Well again, sorry on the lack of photos but I'll make up for it tomorrow.  I'm going to get a late dinner and head off to bed.  I've got that long dance filled day (sigh) tomorrow plus I want to talk to a few people about where I can find more Day of the Dead stuff, parades, and going-ons so I can get photos.

<3

4 comments:

  1. Ah yes..world of warcraft and cheese...life's two necessities!

    Maybe they don't have Hatch Chiles in Mexico City...it is kinda localized to New Mexico. My neighbor brings me lots whenever she goes out to Rio Rancho for a visit..maybe mom will have to send some to you (if that is legal. I'm now having a vision of your mom smuggling green chiles into Mexico for you, which seems really odd but I'll bet she'd do it if you ask her nicely!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They probably do not have Hatch Green Chile, but I really am going to go crazy with out. If I didn't have internet I don't know if I could survive (and it would be pointless for my blog a day plan) but the green chile... dear lord, I might have my mom smuggle me some on the chance she comes to visit me. *nom nom nom* I'm going to have dreams of chile roasting, the leaves changing colors, pumpkin carving and spiced apple cider on fall nights with maybe some snow. *and now queue the homesickness*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a passport, or I'd be there! Maybe someone can smuggle ME in as I smuggle the GREEN CHILI in. Do you think that's what the government is waiting for, since they've tapped your phone? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got no idea what the government is waiting for (haha) maybe they are going to catch my plans to avoid paying student loans back *shrug*. Everyone keeps saying they'd come visit if they had a passport - You bunch of lazies, go get one!! :D

    ReplyDelete